AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB
The Offical Website of the ACD Club

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Cigar Lighter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index -> CORD 810/812
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceCollins
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Cigar Lighter Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a source for a cigar lighter? The one I have is a replacement and looks nothing like the factory Cord lighter.
Jack Richard
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: cord lighter knob Reply with quote

There were at least two different lighter knobs and elements. The 1936 version had to be held in manually until heated element was hot, the 1937 version clicked in and popped out when hot, like modern lighters. The two knobs were slightly different, too.

Jack Richard
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: More on Cord lighters Reply with quote

After more research, I decided that the lighters pictured probably do not have '36-'37 era elements. The knobs look like correct originals, but I don't believe the "pop-out" element and socket was manufactured until later in the '30s. It was patented by a company named CUNO, and became the basis for a rather famous court case about patent law, was ruled an invalid patent because the technology was based on existing technology. The "socket" for the later pop-out elements was different too from the earlier design. In any case, the earlier lighters all had to be held in until hot, hence the "cat eye" lens that transmitted the element's glow. The picture attached shows what the element looks like, the knob is from a Ford.

hportz
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Lighter Photos Reply with quote

I believe that these pictures are of original Cord 810/812 cigarette lighters:
Lighter & socket:

Lighter:

Lighter element:

Knob end of element:
ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
ACD Club Past President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: cigar lighter Reply with quote

I am so glad that this forum with all the passion that members have keep diving into the authenticity of our beloved Cord 810/812. I believe that there where two lighters 36 and 37. The one that Henry shows here is Representative of 1936 and in 37 basically the same except that in 37 they modified it to include and automatic discharge and made a small radius change to the lighter itself. (see Doc Richards lighter in his reply).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index -> CORD 810/812 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: