AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB
The Offical Website of the ACD Club

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
Soaking a rusted engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index -> RESTORATION TIPS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilikescars
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Soaking a rusted engine Reply with quote

Hi: I just thought I'd pass along a tip I heard from an old-timer. If you have a rusted-up engine or some other rusted mechanical parts, soak it in a tub of black molasses & water. Mix one part molasses with six parts water. He said it has a slight acid content that won't harm babbited bearings or metal parts, but will clean up the whole thing real well.
Sounds crazy, but I'll let you know if it works.

Mark
ilikescars
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Rust soak Reply with quote

I tried using the molasses trick on a rusty part, and it does work, but very slowly. Prolly take about a year to do something heavily rusted.

I just bought a product called RUST RELEASE that really works great. It's not an acid or alkaline, so it doesn't attack the base metal. It's almost like a detergent, but on steriods. Basically goes to work on a molecular level and carries the rust away. I tried it on a really heavily rust- encrusted part and left it soak for a day. It took the rust off perfectly and left a clean, grey metal behind. Good stuff.

BTW, it does remove cad plating, for some reason, but not chrome.

Google "Rust Release". It's distributed from a warehouse here in Chicago.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index -> RESTORATION TIPS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: