AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB
The Offical Website of the ACD Club

CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar 
BOB McEWAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index -> IN MEMORIUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Hummel
ACD Club Board Member ACD Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: BOB McEWAN Reply with quote

I am so sorry to pass on this news from Dick Greene ...

Bob McEwan passed away at 12:05 AM today, Friday, October 18, 2013 in Hospice at Pocono Mtn Hospital. It was his wish to not have life support.

There will be no wake or funeral. His ashes will be spread where his mother and father's ashes had been spread in Packanack Lake NJ.

Having known Bob and his family for over 55 years, the family has asked me to write the obit for the club and they look forward attending a memorial service for Bob at the Spring Meet, which I suggested and hope the meet organizers will accommodate.

Bob was a Charter member of the Club - reputedly the first to reply to Harry Denhard's ad in Motor Trend magazine.

I have about 15 pictures from Bob's house and will pick up a box of photographs today. I have his Blue Blazer (1980) which will be placed in the wall of honor in the Museum. I am working on getting his kilt back from his son in CA.

Any donations in Bob's memory should be made to the ACD Museum.

I am very sad - an era has passed.

Dick Greene
PNP - ACD Club
1937 Cord 812 Custom Beverly - Sold
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH BOB Reply with quote

Click on the picture to start the video. A broadband connection is required.

Tom_Parkinson
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sad day in the Club as our Senior Members travel on. Bob will be sorely missed, but his stories, his histories of his Cords, and his wit will live on in our memories. My sympathies to Bob's family on this sad occasion.

--Tom

Newsletter editor for Michiana Dunes Region Lambda Car Club International
Mike Dube
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Robbie Reply with quote

A giant in many ways, he left us all so much richer for having known him.

A number of years ago I asked Bob for a ride in the coupe, which he gladly gave. I told him then that although I had ridden in a few 810/812s, none of them had been driven as he drove his. We headed north out of Auburn and as we passed the high school, he began to let it out. We didn't talk much, but I kept my eyes on him, the dash & the road. As the needle touched 90, he leveled out for a mile or so, then backed off. No muss, no fuss, I'll remember it always.

He said his standard piece that the next ride would be with me behind the wheel, alas that didn't happen.

Will hoist one for you Bob!
Chris Summers
ACD Club Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob leaves a long legacy of help, generosity, and kindnesses to many, many people. I'll especially remember that he was always eager to welcome new, young members aboard. As Mike mentioned, I think the Coupe probably holds the record for "driven by the most first-time Cord drivers." I know several Club members who have taken up that tradition with their own cars since.

I heard him say to several people that if you haven't made one good friend in the Club, then you deserve your dues back. I think Bob got his money's worth many, many times.

He was one-of-a-kind.
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
Jordan Register

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jhcarlady
ACD Club Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Bob McEwan Reply with quote

Thanks Bill for posting the interviews. I remember when they taped them. It is great to have them available to view, and brings back memories. We are losing some of the great ones in the club, a significant loss for the club.
George van Nostrand
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob McEwan;
Just openned the Club website to see our latest loss-Bob McEwan, following closely after Josh Malks passing. It's been a tough year for losing
our senior members. I first met Bob at the Spring Meet at Avon PA in 1959.He
extended a welcome to me as a new member and challenged me to contribute to the Club, which I've tried to do over the years. Bob gave us
some used Cord parts-no charge, as he understood our difficulty finding them
in Canada, a generous gesture. He always encouraged us to drive Cords-not
trailer them. He was a great role model.

Last edited by George van Nostrand on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunroofcord
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first time attending the Auburn meet was 1966 at age 11. My sister, 10 years younger was just a baby and became very ill. Bob offered my parents any thing they needed including money. I will always remember him for that among other things.

I don't get to Auburn often but when I do, I will miss seeing him on the corner by the Auburn Hotel as well as seeing him dressed in his kilt.

Jim Davis
mikespeed35
ACD Club Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Bob found out we bought our speedster he sent me pictures of the car taken at the 1956 Auburn reunion. I didn't ask him to do this, they just showed up in the mail one day.
My foundest memories of Bob are listening to him talk in a hospitality room at a meet. The best way to do that was ask him a question and then keep your mouth shut and listen.
CORDially Mike
sunroofcord
ACD Club Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/club-news/acd-club-founding-member-bob-mcewan-dies?et_mid=643041&rid=241971634
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AUBURN CORD DUESENBERG CLUB Forum Index -> IN MEMORIUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: